Richard P. Grant rgrant at
Tue May 16 04:50:26 EST 2000

In article <39210B81.C499013E at>, P.Hernandez at

> Hi,
> When using isopropanol for DNA precipitation, is it necessary to add any
> kind of salt before?

No, there is no need to add salt.  Be careful not to leave the ppt too
long at low temp as you can get a lot of protein coming down.  What is
the particular application here?

> I have read that after isopropanol precipitation it
> is a good idea to wash the pellet to remove coprecipitated staff. This
> washing should be with 70% isopropanol, ethanol or what ?

70% Ethanol is a good idea, but if you want to be rigorous you should
resuspend the pellet and reprecipitate with acetate/ethanol.

Richard P. Grant MAD Phil
Please reply to rpg 'at''

         Sex and bugs and rock and roll