Maniatis on CD-ROM?-3rd edition coming!

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Tue May 16 09:32:23 EST 2000

In article <slrn8i1agf.fvl.vjp2 at amanda.dorsai.org>,
  vjp2 at dorsai.org vjp2 at compuserve.com vjp2 at mcimail.com wrote:

> From bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu, on 15 May 2000 20:32:24 +0100 we perused:
> *+-<http://www.molecularcloning.org>
>
> My browser says no such web site..
>
> ????

I couldn't find out anything about it on the CSHL Press website, either:

http://www.cshl.org/books/directory.htm

But if I may bring something up: Does the "Blue book" really need to be
on CD-ROM? It seems to me that its format (spiral bound, opens flat on a
surface) is made to be used on a bench. It would seem to me that if you
needed a protocol, it be would be quicker to take it off the shelf, lay
it in your bench, and work from it right there, as opposed to finding the
CD, taking it to your computer, opening the program, printing the pages
you need, etc. Moreover, it's not so expensive that you couldn't have a
few copies around the lab, or even own one yourself.

OTOH, "Current Protocols..." (The "Red book") is a format that really
needs to be on CD-ROM. A typical Red book user would photocopy a protcol
from the book to use, so printing it from a CD would make more sense
here. (I'm not endorsing one or the other here; I think both are useful,
actually).

BTW, since we are on the subject: Does anybody here use the new intranet
version of Current Protocols? How do you like it? Is it worth the
purchase?

Nick

Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu