Problems drying PAGE gels

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Fri May 19 10:04:06 EST 2000

Clogged channels in the gel dryer, maybe?

However, I have always found a 30-min acetate-MeOH fixing of the gel
immensely helpful.
Urea has this nasty property of getting deposited in the narrow vacuum lines
of the dryer. So, besides lessening the likelyhood of ending up with sticky
gels, the extra 30min fixing helps keep the dryer out of trouble.

At 10:31 AM 5/19/00 +0100, Andy Ryan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have recently had problems drying (0.4mm thick) sequencing PAGE 5%
>denaturing gels down onto filter paper using my BioRad gel drier with
>JAVAC pump. In the past this has usually taken 20 mins at 80 degrees.
>However, for no apparent reason my gels are still sticky after 2 hours
>and it is very difficult removing the "cling-film". I do not fix my gels
>and I use an ice trap to prevent fumes entering the pump. I have also
>recently changed the oil in the pump. As far as I am aware the pump is
>still sucking as efficiently, and the gel drier is still heating as
>efficiently. I have been running these gels for over 5 years in the
>current lab and have not had this problem. Interestingly I have a
>colleague in another unit who is experiencing similar problems using
>entirely different apparatus.
>
>Does any one know of any reason why I may be experiencing these
>problems.
>
>Thank,
>
>Andy

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury