no waterphase in phenolextraction

Susanne Rohrer "srohrer(removethis)" at immv.unizh.ch
Wed May 24 04:29:57 EST 2000

This makes me suspicious:

> phenol was well buffered, solutions were personal (no mixup likely)

Maybe a stupid suggestion:
Did the person use phenol pH8 instead of
Phenol/Chloroform/Isoamylalcohol? - since he/she had not done it in a
while...

In that case, the water phase mixes nicely with the phenol (surprised me
when I used Trizol the first time. you add CHCl3 and the phases separate)
- addition of NaCl causing the phase separation may be another hint to
the same problem.

- might as well have happened to me - maybe you weren't that stupid, then
ignore my suggestion ...
--
Susanne Rohrer
Institute of Medical Microbiology