scatchard

J. Martinez-Irujo jjmirujo at unav.es
Wed May 24 04:59:35 EST 2000

a.krimer at biosidus.com.ar wrote:

> You are 50 % right. Most of biochemical books cover the Scatchard
> calculations, but protocols to perform in order to calculate that
> parameters are not widely distributed.

In fact, most biochemical textbooks do not ever mention this method. As
Cornish-Bowden stated in his (betseller) "Fundamental of enzyme kinetics" (a
good starting point for this analysis):

"Although analysis of binding could be regarded as outside the domain of a book
about kinetics, the fact that binding and kinetic experiments often occurs
together as part of a larger study of an enzyme, coupled with the mistakes that
are often in such analysis, means that it would be unwise to overlok proper
attention to this topic.   The almost total absence of the Scatchard plot from
standard textbooks provides another reason why it ought to be described and
discussed. If we exclude methods invented in the past few years it may be well
the most widely used non-textbook method in biochemistry...

Curiously, the same biochemist who never think of using anything but a
double-reciprocal plot to analyse kinetic data never use anything but a
Scatchard plot for analysing binding data.... This practice has nothing to do
with the respective merits of the different plots, or different needs of
kinetic and binding data, but is just a matter of fashion."

--
Juan José Martínez Irujo

Departamento de Bioquímica
Edificio de Investigación