Problems drying PAGE gels

kkelnar at my-deja.com kkelnar at my-deja.com
Wed May 24 10:48:31 EST 2000

we recently had this problem...
the pump seemed to be working fine, but in fact one of the diaphragms
were torn.  the pump would even supply onough vacuum that it looked
like it was working fine.  you should have a line leading to a drain
container from the pump.  if so, plug the end of it with your thumb
(with the pump on).  there should be good resistance pushing your
thumb.  if you feel a sucking effect on your thumb, check the
diaphragms on the pump.
In article <39250A03.C5B23F6C at mds.qmw.ac.uk>,
  Andy Ryan <a.ryan at mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently had problems drying (0.4mm thick) sequencing PAGE 5%
> denaturing gels down onto filter paper using my BioRad gel drier with
> JAVAC pump. In the past this has usually taken 20 mins at 80 degrees.
> However, for no apparent reason my gels are still sticky after 2 hours
> and it is very difficult removing the "cling-film". I do not fix my
gels
> and I use an ice trap to prevent fumes entering the pump. I have also
> recently changed the oil in the pump. As far as I am aware the pump is
> still sucking as efficiently, and the gel drier is still heating as
> efficiently. I have been running these gels for over 5 years in the
> current lab and have not had this problem. Interestingly I have a
> colleague in another unit who is experiencing similar problems using
> entirely different apparatus.
>
> Does any one know of any reason why I may be experiencing these
> problems.
>
> Thank,
>
> Andy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/