crackling sequencing gels

Tim Spahlinger txs at po.cwru.edu
Fri May 26 08:01:31 EST 2000

I'm presently running 6% PAGE I.  To fix them I mix 55 mL of glacial
acetic acid, 65 mL of methanol, and 880 mL of water.  I immerse the gel
in this mixture in a tub for at least 20 minutes.  Then, I pour off the
acid/alcohol mixture (first removing the gel from the mixture, the gel
can be a bit loose) and replace it with distilled water, allowing the
gel to soak for at least another 20 minutes.  Then, I transfer the gel
to a piece of filter paper and dry the applied gel on a gel dryer.

Hope this answers your original question.