Detection of low abundant genes in transgenic plants

Frederik Börnke ricky_boernke at
Fri May 26 08:27:31 EST 2000

Mathieu schrieb:
> Hello there,
> I have to analyse my transgenic plants (quite many) to see if there is
> any over/under expression.
> However i cannot detect anything with 20 ug total RNA but i know that
> they are transgenic
> The native gene cannot be detected by northern using 1 ug of mRNA so i
> think that northern blotting is not sensitive enough
> Is there a quick method to check that...i thought about using
> quantitative PCR but it is quite painfull and time consuming.
> Thank you for your help
> Mathieu

what promoter, which plant? If it is 35S you should see something with
20 µg total RNA, at least in my experience. Are you sure your northern
is working? For screening northern blotting is definetly the method of

Frederik Boernke
Corrensstr. 3
06466 Gatersleben
Tel.  039482 -5 321