scatchard

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Fri May 26 12:08:56 EST 2000

Yeah, I know, bad form to reply to myself.

Maybe it was one of these:

----------

Science 1982 Sep 24;217(4566):1247-9

Numbers of receptor sites from Scatchard graphs: facts and
fantasies.

Klotz IM

Data for ligand and receptor binding presented in the format of a
Scatchard graph are compared with the same data shown as bound
ligand plotted against the logarithm of free ligand. From this
comparison it is apparent that extrapolations in the Scatchard
graph to yield total number of receptor sites are generally not
correct.

PMID: 6287580, UI: 82277157

----------

1: Pharmacol Res Commun 1988 Sep;20(9):733-7

More about the misuse of Scatchard plots in binding studies.

Nicosia S

Institute of Pharmacological Sciences, Milan, Italy.

PMID: 3174801, UI: 89017529

----------

J Biol Chem 1983 Nov 10;258(21):12865-7

Statistical limits in Scatchard analysis.

Feldman HA

The Scatchard graph for estimating molecular receptor capacity
was
recently criticized for its subjectivity, by means of several
examples in which graphical methods yielded meaningless estimates
of receptor capacity. We applied mathematical binding models and
statistical estimation to the same examples and derived
quantitative measures of the uncertainty in receptor capacity.
The
uncertainty was within such bounds that an approximate picture of
the nature and number of sites was recoverable.

PMID: 6313679, UI: 84032500

----------

Q Rev Biophys 1985 Aug;18(3):227-59

Ligand--receptor interactions: facts and fantasies.

Klotz IM

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 3916127, UI: 87068228

Science 1983 May 27;220(4600):979-81

Number of receptor sites from Scatchard and Klotz graphs: a
constructive critique.

Munson PJ, Rodbard D

PMID: 6302842, UI: 83197386

Nick