Consensus from Multiple Alignments

Anders Gorm Pedersen gorm at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Nov 1 07:40:23 EST 2000

Tim Spahlinger wrote:

> Can somebody recommend a web site (preferred) or a software
> package (I'd rather save my limited funding) that will give
> me a consensus sequence of bases derived from the multiple
> alignments of several sequences?

[...]

Call me a puritan, but I would warn against using consensus sequences for most
purposes (most of the information contained in the alignment is thrown away, a
consensus sequence is not necessarily represented even once in the original data
set, etc., etc.).

A very informative alternative is a sequence logo. An online server is available
at:

  http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/seqlogo/logo.cgi

More info on logos:

  http://www-lmmb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/index.html#Sequence.Logos