extracting dna from acrylamide gels

Jeffrey Markert markertNOSPAM at mbcl.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 1 18:25:43 EST 2000

I'm looking for advice on extracting DNA bands from acrylamide gels.  My
goal is to recover enough DNA for a few PCR reactions. The acrylamide gels
are stained in EtBr and were made with FMC's Long Ranger mix.

I've been using the ammonium acetate elution protocol from Maniatis, but
I'm not finding it to be very reliable in my hands and it would be nice to
find a procedure that doesn't require an o/n incubation.

I'm wondering whether there's a simpler and quicker way that will work for
PCR.  Do acrylamide or EtBr inhibit PCR?  Could I just elute the gel slice
in water to avoid having to get rid of the ammonium acetate?  Could I just
freeze (or boil) the gel slice?  Any thoughts or anecdotes are welcome.

---