looking for an inducible vector

The Grouchybeast thegrouchybeast at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 06:03:45 EST 2000

Wolfgang Schechinger wrote:

> I'd need it for having control over protein expression in cells that
> will be transplanted into mice. The vector should be inducible by
> i.v. injection or oral application of a drug that ideally has no
> other effects.
>
> I'm aware of tetracycline inducible vectors, are there other
> possibilities?

By coinidence, we had the Stratagene rep here yesterday talking about
protein expression, and he was pushing the Stratagene 'Complete Control'
ecdysone-inducible expression system.

According to Stratagene, Ponasterone A, which is the inducer they use,
is much less toxic than tetracycline, rapidly enters and clears tissues,
and gives dose-dependant gene induction.  They've also altered the
receptor and DNA binding element to stop cross-talk with endogenous
inducers in mammalian cells, making it very tightly regulated.

Having said that, I've never used it and am merely reporting rep-speak.
Maybe someone on the group has first hand experience.  Still, if it
works as advertised, it might be what you're looking for.

> Wolfgang

love
Anna