Microplate reader filters

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Thu Nov 2 11:41:25 EST 2000

We just got a BioRad Benchmark microplate reader. It comes with four
interference filters: 340 nm, 405 nm, 415 nm, 655 nm. Two more can be
installed in the holder. What we actually need most, however, are 450nm
for our HRP-based ELISA, and a 595 nm would be nice so we could do
Bradfords on a microplate. The BioRad rep gave us the option of
exchanging two of the filters at no extra cost, or of course, we can just
buy more, too.

My question is: in keeping in mind future use, what are the most useful
wavelengths that people are using, and which of the above mentioned
wavelengths are the least useful? I don't want to exchange a filter and
find out later that I need it for something else. (I note that some AP-
based ELISAs read at 405 nm, for example)  Or should I keep the
preinstalled ones and just add a 450 nm and 595 nm?

Also, I'm not doing any BCA protein assays right now, but I might later,
so a 560 nm might be useful, too. Or could I "split the difference"
between the BioRad Bradford assay (595nm) and the Pierce BCA assay (560
nm) by doing both at 570 nm?

Nick

Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu