extracting dna from acrylamide gels

Liz Parks liz_parks at ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 2 11:07:19 EST 2000

Jeffrey,
Acrylamide will inhibit PCR, EtBr will not.  I have had a great deal of
success using a method from Biotechniques (Nov. 1994 Vol. 17, No. 5, pgs
914-921).  Basically, cut out the band of interest from the dried or fresh
gel.  Incubate it at 95C for 20 minutes in 100 ul of 10 mM Tris-HCl, 50 mM
KCl, 1.5 mM MgCl2, 0.1 % Triton-X, pH 9.0.  Use 1 ul in your subsequent PCR
reaction.  In my experience, this works better than water.

Regards,
Liz

--

Liz Parks