In vivo effect of magnesium chloride?

engelbert_buxbaum4 at engelbert_buxbaum4 at
Sun Nov 5 00:42:59 EST 2000

In article <8trtp6$3fv$1 at>,
  mikemikemike at wrote:
>  Magnesium chloride is commonly used to sedate organisms
> such as annelids, cnidarians etc.
> The question is: how does it work?
> I've gathered that magnesium has the opposite effect of calcium,
> suppressing the production of acethylcholinesterase, but i'm not
> sure if that is the mechanism in effect when used as a sedative.

I do not know how it works, but acetylcholine esterase production can
not be the primary target. Narcosis is rapid (sec to min), enzyme
translation shut down would be a much slower process, as the enzyme
already present in the synaptic gap has a considerable life time.

Sent via
Before you buy.