dsRNA blots

Mike Rott mike.rott at tuebingen.mpg.de
Sun Nov 5 08:46:02 EST 2000

I am having problems with dsRNA blots. I use a nondenaturing TAE agarose
gel. treat in 50mM NaOH for 30 min and then blot with 20xSSC to charged
nylon membrane. Membrane is then treated for 10 min in 50mM NaOH to fix
and denature. Using this method with either dsDNA or ssRNA results in
excellent blots but not from dsRNA. I assume that 50mM NaOH is not
sufficient to denature dsRNA and am going to try a higher concentration.
In the meantime what have others tried that worked.

mike