best software

Anders Gorm Pedersen gorm at
Mon Nov 6 02:58:17 EST 2000

ql wrote:
> At this time we are looking for a software package, which is suitable for a
> normal molecular biology lab. It should perform sequence assembly (not
> genome scale), multiple alignment, tree building, primer select, restriction
> mapping, protein analysis, etc. We are now using the DNASTAR package for
> windows, for the most part, this package is rather good, but we are

Another alternative is Phrap/Phred/Consed which is available freely to academic
users in the linux/UNIX versions:

You can also buy windows and mac-versions (I'm not affiliated and haven't tried

Best regards
Anders Gorm Pedersen

 Anders Gorm Pedersen, cand.scient., Ph.D.  (gorm at

 Center for Biological Sequence Analysis
 Technical University of Denmark
 Bldg 208, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark

 phone: (+45) 45 25 24 84