making a master mix for SDS-PAGE

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 7 12:50:58 EST 2000

Maybe not.  I just found the following in CSH press "Antibodies: A
laboratory Manual":

"For greter reproducibility from day to day, the acrylamide,
bis-acrylamide, buffer and water can be prepared in lagre batches and
either stored at 4 deg. C for 1 month or frozen in aliquots and used
indefinitely.  Remove the required amount, warm to room temperature and add
ammonium persulfate and TEMED immediately before use."

I'd still be interested to know if anybody is doing this routinely.  I sure
hate mixing up gel mix all the time!

Mike

>I think it is not done this way because it does not work... otherwise,, we
>would be doing it this way.
>
>"Michael L. Sullivan" wrote:
>
>> Since I mostly run 10% SDS-PAGE gels, is there any reason I can't make up a
>> master mix of acrylamide, water, SDS, and buffer that would need only to
>> have APS and TEMED added?
>>
>> I know that such mixes are available commercially, but I wasn't sure
>> whether those might have some additive that would prevent some dire
>> consequence of mixing the other components for longer term storage and use.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D
>>
>> U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center