Isolation of chondrocytes

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 11:45:21 EST 2000

Or have a search for Charlie Archer at cardiff.ac.uk.
> WB Lai wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> > I need a ready source of chondrocytes (the origin does not matter).  Is
> > there some company I can buy it from?

If your not too bothered about the source, then I would use Biovine. The
reason being simple:- Cows are big and have big cartillage tissue. :-)

Depending on what you are doing you could buy a cell line in. The problem
here is the phenotype (fibroblastic) and the differences in Collagen type
expression.

Firstly I would find out what the local slaughter house (cant spell
abortoir?) is able to give you and how often.

There is no point in using say sheep if they only do sheep once a month
but cow daily.

> > I have searched through the literature for methods to harvest chondrocytes
> > from cartilage which were then subsequently cultured.  But there is little
> > information on the cell number (concentration) obtainable from the isolation
> > of chondrocytes from cartilage.  Is there anyone who has done this before?
> > Please advise.
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Wen Bin Lai
> > Dept of Chemical Engineering

Why do you need Primaries? (appart from the phenotype change) :-)

Cheers
Bob; Cloudy Scotland

--
Robert Hartley, Centre for Cell Engineering,Joseph Black Building
University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ Tel: ++44 (0)141 330 4756,
Fax: 0141 330 3730 mailto:rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Web : http://www.gla.ac.uk/Inter/CellEngineering