PCR SMEARING

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 05:20:01 EST 2000

In article <l03110703b62ff9ea8be0@[134.115.225.80]>, the eminent Philip
O'Brien at BIOSCI/MRC Human Genome Mapping Project Resource Centre wrote
>We have been getting a lot of smearing in our PCR reactions.  Sometimes we
>get a discreet band, but most of the time its a smear.  We get this with
>different primer pairs so it dosent't appear to be confined to one pair.
>The reactions are all set up on ice to minimize aberrant priming before
>thermalcycling.  I would be grateful if anyone could give me information on
>how to eliminate the problem.

Too much enzyme - should be 1.25u per 50ulk but note a lot of unlicensed
enzyme may well be 5x that i.e they calim it is 5u/ul but it could
really be 20u/ul etc.
Too many cycles
Contaminated pipette barrels/water/buffer/dNTPs etc.

Take M13 universal and reverse sequencing primers and PCR 1ng for 15
cycles max of some simple small insert, maybe even just the polylinker,
in a pUC based plasmid. Use fresh reagents and if required run a
dilution series on the enzyme i.e. set up an initial 100ul PCR, add 2.5u
of enzyme, mix, remove 50ul to another 50ul PCR without enzyme, mix
repeat 4 or 5 times. Use 50C annealing. Does it work without smearing?

If OK move to genomic and try again.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark