Recommendations for Oxygen electrode

Paul S. Brookes. brookes at uab.edu
Fri Nov 10 09:59:42 EST 2000

Yellow Springs Instruments (YSI) make a good "black box" that takes the
signal from the electrode and sends it to a chart recorder, but it is
rather expensive ($1500).  Their electrodes are also HUGE, and their
chamber system is 4ml - even the "micro" version is 1ml.  For this reason,
I'd go with electrodes from Instech - they're really small, they plug into
the back of the YSI box, and they enable a smaller chamber size.   Instech
do sell a chamber, but it has a really weird locking-ring system that is
apparently fiddly to use.

For chambers, we have them custom made from Perspex in the machine shop
here to hold a volume of 0.2ml, which enables very small sample sizes.   On
a historical note, the oxygen electrode was developed here at UAB by Leland
Clark, and the guy who made the very first chambers for cell suspension
work (Jerry Sewell) still works here and made my chambers for me.   For
stirrers, Rank Brother's make a nice unit in the UK - their US agent is
Micrometrix in Georgia.  Just sitting the thing on top of a conventional
magnetic stirrer can cause interference problems.   Rank also make oxygen
electrodes which work well.

Consider that your chamber must be clear, to enable light in.   You will
also need a cooling water bath to keep everything at 20C (at least in
Alabama you do), and some sort of home-made box to shut out the light, so
you can switch PS on and off.  I found that a good clear chamber does not
need a separate ligthing system - bench lights are good enough.  In fact, a
fiber-optic light system I borrowed caused photobleaching in spinach
chloroplasts.

Overall the best solution is to cobble together a system from a number of
manufacturers.  Several of them will try to sell you the whole thing, but
it never does exactly what you want it to do.  Custom chambers enable you
to add in your own designs, such as ports for extra electrodes.   For data
collection we use a Dataq $100 bargain basement A-D unit linked to a
PC.  The software is a beast, but it does the job.

Regards
PSB

Dr. Paul S. Brookes.            (brookes at uab.edu)
UAB Department of Pathology,   G004 Volker Hall
1670 University Blvd., Birmingham AL 35294 USA
Tel (001) 205 934 1915     Fax (001) 205 934 1775
http://peir.path.uab.edu/brookes

The quality of e-mails can go down as well as up