High molecular weight smear on Western

Kevin A. Morano kevin.a.morano at uth.tmc.edu
Thu Nov 16 15:37:45 EST 2000

I am experiencing  a problem with a new antibody being generated in
rabbits from a KLH-peptide immunogen.  The band of interest is there,
but I have a dark smear in the upper portion of the gel.  I have seen
this before with another polyclonal made by someone else - does anyone
know what it might be, and if there are easy ways to eliminate it?  It
doesn't occur when I blot with secondary Ab-HRP alone, so I do know it's
the new serum.  I am using 8% gels and ECL reagents.  Any ideas welcomed.

Kevin