metaphase...

Penny May Avoles Kianian P_Kianian at ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Nov 16 16:26:37 EST 2000

Hi
         I don't know if my experience can be of help to you.  We work with
plant root tips.  To synchronize them we either treat them with colchicine
for a few hours or some researchers report using cold water to synchronize.
Colchicine probably won't be an option since it breaks down the spindle
fibers and stops cell division progression.  The cold water approach might
be more feasible for what you are doing.  Unfortunately, I am not fimilar
with the technique to provide additional details.
Penny

--On Wednesday, November 15, 2000, 11:41 AM -0600 "Ulf S. Andersson"
<u-andersson2 at northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Hi everone,
> I am probably in the wrong newsgroup, but I am sure somebody out there
> can help me on this.
> I need to do immunostaining on cells (fibroblasts) which are in
> metaphase and anaphase. I was thinking about synchronizing them with
> aphidicolin and then release the block and fix them after different
> timepoints. So my question is, what is the appropriate time to wait
> following release of the block, in order to have a lot of cells in
> metaphase and or anaphase? And if anyone knows of any simpler or better
> (but not necessarily simpler) ways of synchronizing cells, please let me
> know!
> Thanks!
> /Ulf.

---