G418 vs. neomycin in selection of transfected culture cells

Michael Prigge prigge at umich.edu
Thu Nov 16 17:25:29 EST 2000

In article <8v0v22$1cs_002 at doit.wisc.edu>,
klenchin at REMOVE_TO_REPLY.facstaff.wisc.edu (Dima Klenchin) wrote:

> Christoph Grunau <Christoph.Grunau at igh.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> :Dear all,
> :
> :does anybody knows the advantage of using G418 and not neomycin for the
> :selection of (human) culture cells after transfection with a vector
> :that contains the neomycin resistant gene?
> :
>
> The main advantage is that G-418 works while neomycin does not
> with eukariots. With bacteria, there is no difference. Neomycin
> does not bind to eukariotic ribosomes - that is why it is used to
> treat humans. No so with geniticin (G-418).
>
>         - Dima

Actually, I believe it does inhibit eukaryotic cells but does so by
binding plastid and mitochondrial ribosomes.  For plants, kanamycin is
plenty robust for selection.  For animals, I have heard, G-418 is much
more effective.
Mike
Michael J. Prigge                    phone  (734) 647-4153
Dept. of Biol., Univ. of Michigan      fax  (734) 647-0884
830 N. University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1048