Colorless media

Emir ekhatipo at NOSPAMmidway.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 16 23:13:25 EST 2000

I am not sure what you mean by colorless: for a human eye, or not absorbing
light in a particular wavelength region?

You may try minimal media like M9, which contains mainly NaCl, phosphate
buffer, ammonium, carbon source of your choice, other supplements like
vitamins and aminoacids (that may absorb light in a short wavelength
region). It is colorless (for a human eye), but growth rates of E.coli on it
are lower compared to reach media.

-Emir

However,
"Louis Hom" <lhom at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message
news:8v20ct$pr6$1 at agate.berkeley.edu...
> I'm looking for a colorless medium for growing E.coli and don't feel
> confident enough in my microbiology to just throw stuff together.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions?  I'm thinking of maybe using Grace's insect
> medium (sans FBS) or Brinster's BMOC-3, but I'm not really sure.  TIA.
> --

__