PEG

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Nov 24 08:02:21 EST 2000

Hm. I wouldn't suspect the PEG to be the cause. PEG should be
chemically inert; a positive control experiment (add say 1% PEG to a
sample of AA) should clearify all.
Check if there is too much oxygen in your water catching the starter
radicals; you might flush it with nitrogen or argon.
And check if your AA is ok: try to polymerize some ml of undiluted
substance. Be careful; it might get hot.

Wolfgang

> From:          Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk>
> Subject:       PEG
> Date:          Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:21:17 +0000
> To:            methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

> I have had the misfortune of having my PAGE gels go bad, presumably
> due to a new water supply which we think is contaminated with PEG
>
> BUT, PEG has no charge (does it?) so how does it make my gels go
> bad? Mike.

-----
This message is encrypted! Use your brain to decode it.
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----