Chimp and human

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 26 08:54:20 EST 2000

Dear Ranga, I think the figure 98% is popular with politically correct
people who want to make a point.  Firstly because the whole genomes have
not been compared, only selected bits.  Secondly because not every
nucleotide is of equal importance - The first and second nucleotides
can hardly "wobble" at all without effecting gene expression, but
third nucleotides can wobble a bit with little effect on gene expression.
And this is before arguments about important and unimportant amino acid
residues in protein structure.  Mike