Chimp and human

Tom Knight tk at pasteur.ai.mit.edu
Sun Nov 26 15:49:19 EST 2000

iayork at panix.com (Ian A. York) writes:

> In article <Pine.SGI.3.96.1001126161251.12446198A-100000 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk>,
> Michael Witty  <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> They might not understand it very much, but it turns out they were more
> accurate than you.  There might be a lesson in there somewhere.

Another equally valid way of quoting this number, with, of course,
dramatically different socio-political spin, is to say there are on
the order of 50 million differences.  I don't think either of these
statements provide much true insight.  Would that we had a theory rich
enough to actually produce a number or set of numbers having some
significance.