PEG

H.V.Taylor harold.taylor.remove-this at delete-this.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Nov 27 11:01:35 EST 2000

Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>I have had the misfortune of having my PAGE gels go bad, presumably due to
>a new water supply which we think is contaminated with PEG
>
>BUT, PEG has no charge (does it?) so how does it make my gels go bad?
>Mike.

Dear Mike,

if you used the PEG contaminated water to make your gels you might
have created a two phase system as certain concentrations of PEG and
poly acrylic acid are incompatible with each other (I'd give you some
references but I'm too lazy to run over to the library;-) ). The
result would be opaque gels.
If you used the water for your samples see: Odom, O.W. et al., Anal.
Biochem. 245, 249-252 (1997) "The Effect of PEG 8000 on Protein
Mobility in SDS PAGE and ..."

Hope this helped,

Harold