Fw: Fw: Chimp and human

Deanne Bell dbell at qnis.net
Mon Nov 27 17:42:50 EST 2000

----------
> From: "Michael L. Sullivan" <mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu>
> To: methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: Fw: Chimp and human
> Date: Monday, November 27, 2000 9:16 AM
>
> >> Another equally valid way of quoting this number, with, of course,
> >> dramatically different socio-political spin, is to say there are on
> >> the order of 50 million differences.  I don't think either of these
> >> statements provide much true insight.  Would that we had a theory rich
> >> enough to actually produce a number or set of numbers having some
> >> significance.
> >>

> One "use" of this number is to help teach students (and others) to think
> critically about science and what they read and hear.  Just what does the
> 98% number mean?  On the one hand you can say, "see how much we have in
> common".  On the other hand, you can make the point, that small changes
can
> make big differences.  It's not bad to  discuss things like "the number"
> with people.  It makes people think a little more deeply about such
things.

> Mike

I agree.  The key here is to actually discuss what the numbers mean - which
is what the student was asking in the first place.  Lets have some input of
how large the human / chimp genome really is or how many genes there are.
Lets hear some mathmatical computations regarding what that 98% really
stands for.  What is the significance of the 2% and how many genes are
included in it?
Dee

---