How different can a pair of chromosomes be?

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 28 11:10:46 EST 2000

Something else that might address this issue (although I don't have the
answer) is what happens for sterile hybrid species, like mules for example.
When their cells undergo meiosis, do the chomosomes fail to pair up at all,
or is the pairing up simply a non-productive  mess.  By that I mean one
chomosome derived from parent A might have homologous regions from numerous
chromosomes from parent B.  Would that A-derived chomosome try to pair up
with several B-derived chomosomes, making a tangled mess?  I'm sure
somebody knows the answer to that one, although I don't find it in any of
the texts I have handy.  Just another idea.

Mike

>"Michael L. Sullivan" wrote:
>
>> >What degree of difference in size can be tolerated between two
>> >chromosomes?
>
>> Anna, you mean during meiosis, right?
>
>Yes.
>
>> Don't have a number, sorry, but just thinking about it, the natural example
>> would be the X and Y chomosomes, which must pair up for meiosis.  These two
>> differ considerably in size, but still manage to pair up.  Somebody else
>> probably has a better answer, but that was my quick one.
>
>Very good point!  I didn't think that crossing-over occured between the
>X and Y chromosomes, though, which was where my rather badly phrased
>question was heading.
>
>> Mike
>
>love
>Anna
>--
>I see you standing there, far out along the way,
>   I want to touch you but, the night becomes the day.
>I count the words that I am never going to say,
>   And I see you, in midnight blue.    (ELO - Midnight Blue)

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D

U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center
1925 Linden Drive West
Madison WI, 53706