How big a PCR product can be TA cloned?

R. John Lye rjl6n at virginia.edu
Tue Nov 28 16:28:20 EST 2000

"remove the [nospam] Nicolas von Ahsen" wrote:

> I think pGEM vectors must still be ligated and using ligase that's
> different from TA cloning where a topoisomerase is used.

Sorry, you're mixing up two different things here. TA cloning
refers to a cloning protocol that takes advantage of the extra A's
that taq often adds to PCR products.  "Topo cloning" is the
protocol you're thinking of that uses topoisomerase.  There
is, of course, Topo-TA cloning that uses both of these.

Hope that helps clarify things,
John