electroporator

Wed Nov 29 09:37:16 EST 2000

elisa may <elisa.may at uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
:Hi all,
:has someone experience with the new electroporator from Eppendorf
:(Multiporator)? We have no experience with electroporation yet and I´m
:trying to figure out whether to buy Biorad or Eppendorf. I would like to
:use it for bacteria and mammalian cells.

I looked up specs for Eppy machine and it appears to be a joke as
far as mammalian cells transfection goes:

                             Voltage range  Time constant
  Eukaryotic module
                             20-1,200 V
                                                        15-500 µs
  Bacteria module
                             200-2,500 V
                                                          5 ms
  Fusion module
                             5-300 V
                                                         5-500 µs

They really need to put bigger capacitors in there to
allow for low voltage long duration pulses with tau in the
range of 10-50 ms.

Also, it appears that with high voltage applications (bacteria,
yeasts) you are stuck with only one shunt resistance,
which is really inflexible and cheap. IMHO, Bio-Rad is
unquestionably better.

        - Dima