electroporator

Bradley Turner bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 29 11:08:23 EST 2000

Hello Dima et al.,

I've just purchased a BTX ECM 630. I haven't even unpacked
it yet.  And I'm not yet familiar with the details of electroporation.

Do you know how that model compares to either the
Eppi or the BioRad?  I know that they also make a more
full featured model (830 I think) that they claim can be used
even in 'in vitro' fertilization e-poration. And they have pretty
extensive/detailed protocols available online

http://www.btxonline.com/btx/index.html
http://www.gentronics.com

Thank you,
Brad Turner [no affiliation, just HOPE to be a satisfied customer]

                    Bradley Turner
                Beth Israel Deaconess
                    Medical Center

Harvard Medical School          617-667-1215 phone
Division of Gastroenterology    617-667-2767 fax
Room Dana 605                   bsturner at biosun.harvard.edu
330 Brookline Avenue            bturner at caregroup.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02215                bsturner at mbcrr.harvard.edu

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Dima Klenchin wrote:

> elisa may <elisa.may at uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
> :Hi all,
> :has someone experience with the new electroporator from Eppendorf
> :(Multiporator)? We have no experience with electroporation yet and I´m
> :trying to figure out whether to buy Biorad or Eppendorf. I would like to
> :use it for bacteria and mammalian cells.
>
> I looked up specs for Eppy machine and it appears to be a joke as
> far as mammalian cells transfection goes:
>
>                              Voltage range  Time constant
>   Eukaryotic module
>                              20-1,200 V
>                                                         15-500 µs
>   Bacteria module
>                              200-2,500 V
>                                                           5 ms
>   Fusion module
>                              5-300 V
>                                                          5-500 µs
>
> They really need to put bigger capacitors in there to
> allow for low voltage long duration pulses with tau in the
> range of 10-50 ms.
>
> Also, it appears that with high voltage applications (bacteria,
> yeasts) you are stuck with only one shunt resistance,
> which is really inflexible and cheap. IMHO, Bio-Rad is
> unquestionably better.
>
>         - Dima

---