What happens when a blot is over baked?

David L Haviland David.L.Haviland at uth.tmc.edu
Wed Nov 29 12:30:23 EST 2000

Alan Smith wrote:

> Hello,
> What happens when you bake a northern blot for 22 hours instead of two hours
> at 80 C?  Should I throw the thing out or should I use it?

If it is legit nitrocellulose you are poodle-screwed.  It will crumble under
stress.   Rerun the gel and blot procedure.  If it is charged nylon it will
probably be fine but may not tolerate re-probing.

David L. Haviland, Ph.D., Asst. Prof. Immunology
University of Texas - Houston, H.S.C.
Institute of Molecular Medicine, R907
2121 W. Holcombe Blvd.,  Houston, TX  77030
Thot for the Day:
Things could be worse...  Martha Stewart could be your mother-in-law.