Ponceau S staining problem...

Emir ekhatipo at NOSPAMmidway.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 30 13:09:47 EST 2000

I finally turned to staining the filter after doing the whole Western
procedure (blotting > blocking > binding Ab > detecting) in a conventional
Coomassie staining solution for SDS-PAGE gels. I just soak the filter for
5-10 min in the staining soln., destain in the destaining soln or by
microwaving in ddH2O for 3 min. It migh even be a good way to go in case one
need restripping and redoing the Western with different Abs. However, I did
not try this myself. My guess would be that you would have to strip first,
stain with Coomassie, destain (being careful not to dry the filter!) and
repeat the whole procedure with new Abs again.
Emir