Targeting cancer

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 03:07:40 EST 2000

In article <39D8000E.8CD4019F at utoronto.ca>, Gerard Cagney
<gerard.cagney at utoronto.ca> wrote:

A wee bit off topic but worth a read.

I don't have a ref but in todays Scotsman newspaper there is an article on
page one where injection of a drug into the ovaries of mice have prevented
ovarian cancer after chemo and radiotherapy.

This was possible after protection was foound in knockout mice.

You may find some info on oct. nature medicine from folk at
sloan-kettering cancer centre, new york.

WRT cancer cell upregulation of a mRNA, I suppose MMP's spring to mind.

Cheers
Bob; Cloudy Scotland.

> good idea. look at some recent mRNA expression studies using tumor tissue and
> see if you are right
>
> Emir Khatipov wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Could someone summarize (or just give a short introduction into) current
> > status of targeting cancer therapeutics: are there any preferable tissue or,
> > most important, cancer specific targets that are being investigated now or
> > which ones have been studied and became classical and are routinely used in
> > practice. By targets I mostly mean proteins that are getting higher
> > expressed in cancer cells than in the normal tissue, so that therapeutics
> > could be delivered and selectively accumulated in cancer cells rather than
> > in normal ones. My particular interest is whether there is any relevance
> > available so far on using metabolic enzymes as potettial specific targets
> > for untitumor treatment.
> >
> > I just was thinking that if a cancer tissue is growing faster than normal
> > tissue, it could be quite limited in nutrients like nitrogen, sulphur, etc.,
> > as well as oxygen (unless angeogenesis would not provide enough compensation
> > for the nutrient limitation).
> > Nutrient deprivation would trigger expression of enzymes or forms of enzymes
> > that have higher affinity for growth substrates, and those enzymes may
> > function as nice targets. Does it make sense?
> >
> > Another relevant question is whether there is a noticeable difference in
> > metabolizm (carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, etc.) in prostate cancer cells vs.
> > normal prostate cells.
> >
> > Any guides and references would be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Emir
>
> --
> Gerard Cagney
> Program in Proteomics and Bioinformatics, Banting and Best Institute of
Medical

--
Robert Hartley, Centre for Cell Engineering,Joseph Black Building
University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ Tel: ++44 (0)141 330 4756,
Fax: 0141 330 3730 mailto:rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Web : http://www.gla.ac.uk/Inter/CellEngineering