help with homoginisation

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 06:30:45 EST 2000

In article <wL4SHKAikE35UAzE at genesys.demon.co.uk>, Alisha Billington
<a_billington at genesys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

CC'd By Email also.
> Hi there,
>
>         I was wondering if anybody could help, I am trying to grind up
> samples such as corn etc. to the consistency of flour. But a pestle and
> mortar introduces to much contamination and needs to be sterilised after
> every use. I saw somewhere a homogeniser that uses glass beads in an
> eppendorf tube and grinds up samples to a fine consistency. If anybody
> else has any information about this I would be grateful to hear from
> you.
> Thanks, Alisha

Hi Alisha.

You may be interested in the beads that are used by the RiboLyser from
Hybaid (same machine as the Bio101.). These are for RNA/DNA extraction
protocols but could be useful for making flour [sorry couldn't resist :-)
]

Anyway enough of the cheek :-) I'm assuming you want to extract nucleic
accids or protein and want a completely disrupted cell wall?

These might work in a tube on a whirlymixer. They are quite rough ceramic
and mascerate the various tissue/cels. There are Bacterial/mamalian and
plant beads. I assume the differnce is in the thichness and roughness.

Alternatively I think there are some serrated mushroom shaped plastic
disposable  attachments for a dril that will fit in a 1.5ml tube.

I have a plant Virologist friend that freezes samples of leaf in N2(l) and
grinds using these tips plugged into a cheap 20pound household drill.

PS Genesys? Maybe Duncan can help.

Regards
Bob; Calypso User from Sunny Scotland. Very Sunny :-)

--
Robert Hartley, Centre for Cell Engineering,Joseph Black Building
University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ Tel: ++44 (0)141 330 4756,
Fax: 0141 330 3730 mailto:rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Web : http://www.gla.ac.uk/Inter/CellEngineering