removal of iron from mdedia?

Arnoud van Vliet avvliet at knoware.nl
Thu Oct 5 13:40:23 EST 2000

Hi Colin,

it all depends on the bacterium you are working with. If it's E. coli or
Salmonella, most people use 2'2'-dipyridyl at 200 uM. For Pseudomonas it is
used at 600 uM, I think. It chelates Fe(II), and goes inside cells, is what
I remember.
Deferoxamine can be used with E. coli, but not with Salmonella which can
utilize it as iron source.
An alterative is also EDDHA at 50 uM, but that is not as iron-specific, as
it also chelates other ions.
Some people treat their broth with Chelex-100, but then you have to add back
most other ions except the iron.

Email me with the bug you're working with, and I'll try to help you
choosing!

hope this helps
Arnoud

news:8ri026$1lc$1 at willow.cc.kcl.ac.uk...