A genetic mapping conundrum

Gregor Bucher st2153 at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Oct 6 10:18:59 EST 2000

Hi Jim!

I guess the only reason for looking for homozygotes only is, that often
(depending on the mutation) the heterozygotes are not distinguishable from
wildtype in terms of phentype - and you say he is dealing with recessive
mutations (which, by definition do only show a phenotype in the homozygote

Do you agree or did I get something wrong with the problem?

(another "mapper")

>chromosome. Here is the question: in my reading of the literature, I came
>across one researcher who ONLY analyzed the F2 homozygous recessive mutants
>for linkage to the polymorphic DNA markers-- is this a legitimate way of
>mapping a gene or should you be analyzing ALL your segregants for linkage?
Gregor Bucher, Zoologisches Institut der LMU München
st2153 at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de