FACS detection of myoblasts and fibroblasts

Peter Ashby p.r.ashby at dundee.MAPS.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 10:50:00 EST 2000

In article <200010061222.OAA04537 at intwww.zit.med.uni-tuebingen.de>,
Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de ("Wolfgang Schechinger")
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to characterize by FACS analysis a myblast cell culture
> derived from a human skeletal muscle biopsy. There probably grow
> some fibroblasts, so I have two main cell populations.
>
> As far as I am aware there is no myoblast specific marker, thus I'd
> do the following:
>
> 1) stain almost all cells with anti MHC-1
> 2) stain fibroblasts with anti-Thy.1 (CD-90)

that sounds like the best way, I'm not aware of any myoblast specific
surface markers.

> 1a) stain myoblasts with anti NCAM, since I assume that fibroblasts
> will not express this surace antigen

I don't remember the details but NCAM expression in developing muscle is
very dynamic and don't forget that if these cells are from a biopsy you
will have satellite cells and fibroblasts rather than embryonic
myoblasts and the two are not the same.

I think you will be better off labelling the fibroblasts and do a
negative on the muscle cells. There is an old method to enrich for
myoblasts by plating the cells for a short time then taking of the
unattached cells and repeating the procedure with them. It works by
exploiting the fact that fibroblasts are stickier than myoblasts.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
Wellcome Trust Biocentre