Prot./DNA interaction and SDS-PAGE

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 13 13:20:37 EST 2000

>""Michael L. Sullivan"" <mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> Another possibility for seeing the two forms after IMAC (assuming they are
>> his/not his tagged versions) is that the protein forms heteromultimers.
>>
>> Mike
>
>I did not get the issue of heteromultimers. You mean binging of His/nonHis
>to each other? Then boiling in the loading buffer would destroy these
>interactions.

I don't have your original post any longer, but my understanding is that
you loaded an E. coli extract expressing your protein on an IMAC column
under non-denaturing conditions, DNase treated, then ran what you eluted on
SDS-PAGE.  You suggested perhaps the two forms were his-tagged and
non-his-tagged, as there was a second ATG past the his-tag from which
translation could initiate.  What I am suggesting is that heteromultimers
might have existed in your original extract (which was made under native
conditions, righ?).  If a heteromultimer contained one his-tagged protein,
the whole multimer would purify.  When you ran the eluted material on
SDS-PAGE, the two forms, his-tagged and non-his tagged might resolve into
two bands since a his-tag can change the apparent molecular weight much
more than might be expected (i.e. several kDa rather than the expected ~0.6
or so) .

Did I misunderstand or misread your original post, or is what I suggest a
possibility?

If you have an anti his-tag monoclonal Ab, you could see if either or both
bands have the his tag.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D