Total RNA extraction...

Konstantin Levitsky klevitsky at biochem.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 13 11:41:57 EST 2000

RNase contamination at any step would be devastating to the RNA.  You must
make sure all glassware, tubes, and anything else coming in contact with
the RNA is RF, even the water in your reagents.  Everything must be DEPC
treated and autoclaved.  There are also reagents called RNase Away that
inactivate RNase without the need to incubate for prolonged periods of
time, like with DEPC.  I had some trouble isolating total RNA from rabbit
hearts untill I got really anal about everything in the procedure and
RNase.  Please forgive if this advice is too obvious, as it will be to
anyone experienced with RNA work.  I am not certain what your level of
experience is.  Good luck.

--
Konstantin Levitsky
Biochemistry Graduate Student