Western & Eastern & Far Western & other blots

Petri Kursula pkursula at cc.oulu.fi
Sun Oct 15 15:31:35 EST 2000

No, the first one was Southern, as the inventor of it is EM Southern. I
bet this is the original reference:

Southern EM.
Detection of specific sequences among DNA fragments
separated by gel electrophoresis.
J Mol Biol. 1975 Nov 5;98(3):503-17.

Then came the others, derived from the name of the author of the DNA
method...

Pete

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Susanne Rohrer wrote:

> Bruno Cenni wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering where the different blot names come from (apart from the
> > obvious Southern blot), and yes it's for a lecture and there will be
> > students asking it... so if you know of even more blot names and the origin
> > of their name I'd be happy to know.
>
> It's jargon, first used, probably jokingly, for Nothern, then all the others.
> (I think Ausubel says so) - Northwestern or Southwestern also exists iirc.
>
> But Eastern - you'd have to come up with a fourth species other than DNA, RNA,
> or protein.
>
> Any Ideas, anyone?
>
> Yours
>
> Susanne

                                 Petri Kursula
             Petri.Kursula at oulu.fi     http://cc.oulu.fi/~pkursula
                 Department of Biochemistry and Biocenter Oulu
                       University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland