cycle sequencing

Arun Prakash a.prakash at
Mon Oct 16 00:06:35 EST 2000

We are carrying out mutation analysis on carcinogen-induced p53
mutations using SSCP and cycle sequencing techniques. We observe sample
specific bands-on-all-four-lanes type mutations. The results are
reproducible and specific. But because there are bands on all 4 lanes (
not necessarily of equal intensities) we are not sure if they are
genuine mutations or just pcr related artefact. Is it safe to assume
that if one sample shows it and another doesn't then these bands are
indeed mutations?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

Arun Prakash
Senior Research Fellow