absolute ethanol

David F. Spencer dspencer at is.dal.ca
Tue Oct 17 13:41:06 EST 2000

In article <39D496C8.CF8877AE at bristol.ac.uk>, Jonathan Warawa
<J.Warawa at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> I need to keep a stock of 100% ethanol absolutely absolute for use in
> critically drying tissues for scanning electron microscopy.  Does anyone
> know if there is some moisture absorbing reagent which I can keep in the
> ethanol (ie CaCl2 or activated charcoal) that will absorb out the water
> which is sure to contaminate my ethanol due to moisture in the air.
> Thanks,
>   Jon Warawa
>   J.Warawa at bristol.ac.uk

As the other poster suggested the most effective way to do this is with
4 Angstrom molecular sieves. I believe I've also used 3 A for this
purpose but the 4 A is the norm. They are a good way to keep all types
of solvents dry and have been used to purify solvents as well.  If you
need to dry the molecular sieves before use you need quite high
temperatures (300C +) because water sticks quite tenaciously to them.
They are available in several formats: the small pellets (cylinders) are
quite effective but you can get them in spheres.

CaCl2 wouldn't be a good choice because it of course dissolves in
ethanol. Activated charcoal isn't likely to accomplish anything useful.
Anhydrous CaSO4 is also slightly ethanol soluble.

Here is a electron microscopy reference which includes the description
of using molecular sieves for keeping ethanol dry:

http://borisy.bocklabs.wisc.edu/pages/protocols/electmicrosctext.html

Dave

--
David F. Spencer, PhD