LIGHT CYCLER

theLabRat theLabRat at theLabRat.com
Tue Oct 17 14:30:21 EST 2000

The advantages are:

(1) It gives you "real" realtime results - meaning you can monitor it while
the experiment is running (unlike Taqman, which you need to wait until it is
done).
(2) It is much faster per reaction (although this can be a problem if you
are doing high-throughput.
(3) It allows you much more flexability in the reaction:  altering the
melting curve profile, etc. than the exonuclease activity of the Taqman
instrument.

Disadvantages:

(1) If you are doing high throughput it is not as good, since you need to
load the cappilaries.  There is an automated process for that, but still
doesn't make up for the difficulty if you are doing several runs a day.

IMHO it is a far superior research instrument than the Taqman...

JeffF

Jeff Fairman, Ph.D.
Assistant Director, Pharmacogenomics Research
Clingenix, Inc.
1190 Bordeaux Drive
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
(408) 541-6406 (office)