LIGHT CYCLER

Susanne Rohrer "srohrer(removethis)" at immv.unizh.ch
Wed Oct 18 01:58:40 EST 2000

"R. Jayakumar" wrote:

> Can
> anyone tell me the drawbacks and advantages the light cycler has over
> traditional thermal cyclers?

So, the coffee machine is fast (very-40min for 30 cycles), you can see the
product amplifying while it runs, and you can do stuff like real-time
(quantitative RT-PCR, mutation analysis etc etc. that takes fluorescently
labeled primers.
BUT the max. volume is 20ul, the capillaries are hard to handle (for male hands
especially :-) and it is still ridiculously expensive.
So if you just do preparative or simple analytical PCR its not worth it.
but it is a nice-looking coffee machine.

Why am I writing this up again? you might as well have looked this stuff up in
the archives!

yours

Susanne