Ponceau S stain??

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Wed Oct 18 20:04:02 EST 2000

At 11:40 PM 10/17/00 -0600, Neal Robert Melvin wrote:
>Does anyone have a protocol for staining nitrocellulose membranes?

1% in 0.1% acetic acid
Soak the NC follwing transfer for 1 min.
Pour off the stain for re-use (can be reused several times).
Rinse off the excess stain with DI water and you'll see the bands clearly.
Red bands against white (Of course!).

>What is the approximate sensitivity threshold for Ponceau?

Not sure; but works fine for most runs. It is slightly higher than CBB-R.

>Can a western always be done after staining with Ponceau?

Yes. Destaining, IMO, is optional, since it occurs during blocking anyway.
The blocking solution (red, afterwards) can be re-used w/o problem.

Photography is also possible! Use incident light.

BTW, I'm an alumnus of UofC. :)

>Please email me directly as I rarely have newsgroup access...
>
>nrmelvin at ucalgary.ca
>
>"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
>with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. "
>
>- Galileo Galilei
>
>Neal Melvin
>University of Calgary - Faculty of Medicine
>Department of Neuroscience - Neuroscience Research Group (NRG)
>Health Sciences Centre
>3330 Hospital Drive, NW
>Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>T2N 4N1