NBT/BCIP in situ detection problem

Paul Grimm pgrimm at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 20 20:29:47 EST 2000

Is it possible that the mounting medium or technique is different and affecting
the NBT/BCIP deposits? I used glycerol gel to mount the cover slip when I was
using NBT/BCIP for in situ's. Sometimes a batch of glycerol gel would not work
as well as another.
Suggest that you try temporarily mounting one of your slides with water or
saline and a coverslip to see how the deposit looks under the microscope before
formal mounting.

The other issue is whether you use polyvinyl alcohol in your NBT development. I
think PVA can give a more "granular" appearance.

Paul Klosen wrote:

> Hi,
> Recently we have run into a nasty problem with our NBT/BCIP in situ
> detections. The in situ part seems to work fine and the alk phos
> detections is sensitive, but when we observe our slides under the
> microscope, the precipitate is completely granular and seems to be
> located above the tissue. We have tried varying several parameter (pH,
> salt and MgCl2 conc., ..) and different lots and sources of both NBT and
> BCIP, but nothing seems to bring us back to our previous results, where
> we had a nice cell-filling precipitate, albeit a bit diffuse as expected
> with NBT/BCIP.
> Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and how did you get rid of it
> ?
> Thanx
> --
> Paul Klosen, PhD
> CNRS UMR 7518 Neurobiologie des Fonctions Rythmiques et Saisonnieres
> Universite Louis Pasteur  12, rue de l'Universite F-67000 Strasbourg,
> Tel.  Fax.  klosen at neurochem.u-strasbg.fr

Paul C. Grimm
Associate Professor
Pediatric Nephrology
University of California at San Diego

Email pgrimm at ucsd.edu
Phone 619-543-5218
Fax   619-543-3575
Snail mail
UCSD Pediatrics
Mail Stop 0831
9500 Gilman Drive,
La Jolla California

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...
they did it by killing all those who opposed them.
Where mediocrity is the norm, it is not long before mediocrity becomes the
ideal" A. N. Wilson